The healthcare industry is constantly changing. Ours is a rapidly aging population and hence the demand for healthcare services has risen up drastically. So, is the current system of health care good? And does it live up to the current requirement? Let us delve deep and find out whether the current health care system pass muster and what are the things to look forward.
The Aging Demography
According to the Population Census made in 2011, there are nearly 104 million elderly persons who are aged 60 years or above in India, of them, there are 53 million females and 51 million males.
Which brings us to our next questions, how many aged Indians are out there? How to help them overcome their day to day problems? In a world where the elderly people form a large chunk of the population, there is strangely apathy towards taking care of the older population.
The Senior Health Problems
The average life expectancy has increased. But sadly, there is still a lot to be desired when it comes to the healthy care of the elderly. Since the older adults are living longer, there is an increasing need for medical care as they have to face some pressing health problems such as obesity, diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, Alzheimer’s disease, cancer, and so on.
The National Policy on Older Persons (NPOP) is a program which is adopted by the Government of India in 1999 and particularly the Section 20 of the “The Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act, 2007” deals with provisions for medical care of Senior Citizen. This program provides a number of facilities for the elderly.
The program provides preventive and curative program, and rehabilitative services for the elderly in many Government health facilities. This is one way of providing a number of services to the elderly who sometimes have a difficult time coping with increasing ailments which comes with old age. The preventive services which help diagnosis and manage geriatric medical problems such as day care services and rehabilitative services, and also prompt home based care as and when required.
Here are a few ways in which you can help the elderly so that they can have it a little easier when their life is fraught with many difficulties.
- Get essential things delivered to the doorstep – When the elderly find it difficult to get things on their own, it is important to teach them how they can easily shop online or use apps to get their things delivered with ease. This is very easy because of the advanced age of technology we are living in. All that you need to do is to help them understand the navigation and ordering process, and you are set.
- Make the house age-proof – If you are someone acquainted with elderly, you can help their homes be more comfortable and their things more accessible. This would mean having a railing installed so that they can get the support when they need, in their bathrooms or even all around their homes. Add more lights so that they can have it easy walking around the home.
- For emergency purposes – For the emergency purpose, you can offer the elderly help in the form of things like GPS capability, which helps locate the elderly parent or relative at the time of an accident, two-way phone communication and fall detection helping the aging population live an independent life despite their conditions.
- Keep communication devices – It is also possible for you to add devices such as CCTV installed in the common areas so that you can keep a watch over your elderly loved ones even when you are away. This will also help them have a sense of satisfaction and remain stress-free because of the fact that you are watching over them. Think about any such practical ways in which the communication between your loved elderly and you can be swift.
- Keep them occupied – There are many online forums for senior citizens such as sixty plus. The website is dedicated for and with senior citizens who have lot of creative ideas. This will help keep your older ones busy with something more creative. If the elderly ones are occupied with something creative there is no time for depression, and this will also lead them in experiencing good health.
So in today’s technology driven world, it is possible for the elderly to live an independent hassle-free life, you just have to find the right ways to do so. Just make sure that you research well about your available options and provide the best features for your loved elderly ones. A little extra effort from your part will ensure that your loved ones get the best life.